Tuesday, October 21, 2008

What are families for?

The first thing that is going into my hope chest is my vision for the family God is giving me and the roles of each family member according to God's word. As I have been studying the family as God intended it to be, I was stunned to realize that I had no clue what families were for. I have always wanted a husband and kids, but why would God institute families. I had no idea. So I went back to Genesis chapter 2, the creation of man.

Turns out, that man was created for dominion and to rule over the earth. That was such a huge chore that he needed a helper suitable for him. So God created woman to assist the man so that he can rule on the earth effectively. As such, her purpose is wrapped up in her husband. That explains why women feel empty even with everything else going for them.

So I did a study of the purpose of the man and the woman and realized that my hubby is the sun and I am the moon. I get my light from his light. The brighter he shines, the brighter I shine, and if for whatever reason his light dims or is eclipsed, then my darkness is greater still. Therefore, in the role of helper, it is in my best interest to ensure that he turns out as God intended by being a comforter, encourager, uplifter, prayer warrior etc for him. I am a light on a hill that cannot be hid. But my light is tied up in his light. So if I want to shine I need to make sure he is shining. I must never do anything to bring him grief, sorrow, distress or any kind of sadness. I must have that gentle and quiet spirit that is of great worth to both my husband and God.

My successes are wrapped up in his successes. I must do everything I can to ensure he is successful as a man, as a Christian and as a father. That does not mean that I take responsibility for his failings, but that I point them out in love.

Marriage is for destiny and so are families. The people in a family are a support system for one another. They are to encourage and help each other into fulfilling the will of God in their individual lives and as a family. As such, I want to raise a family that is centered on making the Kingdoms of the earth the Kingdoms of our God. A team that takes dominion in their spheres of influence. We are to mold our children in the ways of the Lord. Help them discover their destiny and purpose in life at a young age, and live out their lives here on earth being everything God created them to be. What a blessing!

A family is meant to be a comfort to its members, kind, loving, intimate in a godly sense, caring, rebuking, helping each other find the paths of righteousness and so much more....

Now that I finally have a clue of what a family is all about, I need to draft my vision and family mission statements. I will share them here with you as soon as I am done.

No comments: