Thursday, May 6, 2010

Sow in the Famine! Don't Stop Now!

I was speaking to a friend of mine a short while ago and he was telling me about how tough things have been for him. As we were talking I mentioned another friend who also was having a really tough time economically. After our conversation, I walked away thinking how crazy it was that when others were going through economic hardship God had preserved me. Then God spoke a word to my heart Daniel 11:32 "...they that know their God shall be strong and do exploits."

The Lord just kept ministering to my heart as I meditated on that word. This is our year of distinction and they that know their God shall continue to flourish in the midst of trouble. As I thought about that word, I began to wonder what that word "know" meant. Many of the people suffering at this time are Christians who I believe know and love God. So what is this knowing? The Lord said to me that knowing him meant not just being saved and reading the word of God, but entering into covenant with him and obeying the terms of the covenant which are laid out in his word.

He caused me to meditate on the last 7 months and how he accelerated my giving. I have never given the way I have done these last seven months. I gave sacrificially and didn't even realize it. I sowed so much seed that the enemy began to come against me. At one point I began to wonder what it was all about. I began to wonder if I had been deceived. The devil would say to me "look around you, what do you have to show for what you earn? You have given it all away." One time when the enemy was working me seriously I asked the Lord why he would not let me save and his answer was, "But you are saving. Where rust and moth do not destroy." That had not been the answer I was looking for, but I entered rest about saving and the peace of God was able to govern within me.

Today the Lord said to me that things will continue to be tough but in the famine I must keep on sowing. Just like Isaac did in Genesis 26. The distinction between the righteous and the wicked will be clear moving forward. Those who are his will be gathered to him and will flourish even in a barren land. The Lord revealed to me that the reason he had me sowing so much was because he knew that a famine was coming and just like in the days of Joseph, he had me store up abundantly during the time of plenty so that I will not feel the famine, and so that I will be a light for those who will suffer from it.

I am reminded of the hymn below known as Bringing In The Sheaves:

Sowing in the morning, sowing seeds of kindness,
Sowing in the noontide and the dewy eve;
Waiting for the harvest, and the time of reaping,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain

Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,
Bringing in the sheaves, bringing in the sheaves,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves,


Sowing in the sunshine, sowing in the shadows,
Fearing neither clouds nor winter’s chilling breeze;
By and by the harvest, and the labor ended,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain

Going forth with weeping, sowing for the Master,
Though the loss sustained our spirit often grieves;
When our weeping’s over, He will bid us welcome,
We shall come rejoicing, bringing in the sheaves.

Refrain


Sowing can be painful, especially when you are broke or when God demands what we think is "just too much!" But one thing I know, that God is faithful to make sure that you reap a harvest if you faint not.

Psalm 126:5-6 says

Those who sow in tears
Shall reap in joy.
He who continually goes forth weeping,
Bearing seed for sowing,
Shall doubtless come again with rejoicing,
Bringing his sheaves with him.


The word says "continually goes forth" you must sow and keep on sowing. No giving up, no stopping, no reducing the amount you sow in fact, if you can, increase it. The word says you shall "doubtless" i.e there is no doubt about it, i.e FO SHO, there is a harvest for you and you shall come rejoicing carrying your harvest singing the Nigerian chorus:

Come and see oh...
Come and see
Come and see what the Lord has done x4


I believe my season for harvest has come. I shall begin to see my harvest and shall sing a new song to the Lord. Many times I have sown in tears, but I will now come back with laughter. Hey! My God has done it for me oh! Come and see!!!!

1 comment:

Robert said...

Some good thoughts here. Thanks. Your blog caught my eye this morning because this is the 132nd anniversary of the death of Knowles Shaw, the author of "Bringing in the Sheaves."

Before a time of fruitfulness comes the weary and sometimes difficult work of sowing. And there are times when we sow, and the Lord sends along another to do the reaping. But it is all His work, to His glory.

If you enjoy reading about our hymns and their authors, I invite you to check out my daily blog on the subject, Wordwise Hymns.