Thursday, October 15, 2009

BALAAM’S ERROR

Jude in vs 11 speaks of a certain type of person. He says “Woe to them! They have taken the way of Cain; they have rushed for profit into Balaam’s error; they have been destroyed in Korah’s rebellion.”

Peter refers to Balaam’s error in 2 Peter 2:15 saying “they have left the straight way and wandered off to follow the way of Balaam son of Beor, who loved the wages of wickedness. But he was rebuked for his wrongdoing by a donkey – a beast without speech – who spoke with a man’s voice and restrained the prophet’s madness”

The story of Balaam is told in the book of Numbers Chapter 22 – 24. It is the story of a man who had the ability to hear God clearly. He heard what the Lord said to him, that he was not to go with the men sent by Balak, but his heart was enticed by the promised reward and because he really wanted to go, the Lord allowed him to. Have you ever heard God say not to do something, but even though you are not doing the said thing, your heart is longing for the pay off? You’re thinking, “Man! If I had not given that seed I would still have money to spend on new clothes that I would like to have and even need”

I have learned that this kind of thinking is the seed of covetousness. Balaam went to meet with Balak because he hoped that somewhere along the way God would let him curse Israel and he would get the coveted reward. As in the story of Achan in Joshua 7, note how angry God is. The sin of covetousness vexes him violently!!! God was so angry with him that he sent an angel with drawn sword to destroy him. Any time you see an angel with drawn sword in the word it means that there is impending destruction. Ask David at the threshold of Arauna!!! The sin of covetousness immediately calls for the destruction of the person coveting.

In vs 32 – 33 the angel of the Lord tells Balaam “…I have come here to oppose you because your path is a reckless one before me… I would certainly have killed you by now.”

The path of covetousness is a reckless one before the Lord. Jehovah himself will oppose you if you are a covetous person and death and destruction will be the only thing left in your wake instead of glory and honor. Pray with me:

Lord God, hitherto my path has been a reckless one before you. I have coveted much. Even the seed I have given to you. For that reason the seed has not produced for me and you have stood up to oppose me. Forgive this sin in my life Oh Lord. Cleanse me and make me whole before you once again. I see and recognize my sin Lord and backtrack to the place where I left the straightway and joined in Balaam’s error. Forgive me and order my steps in a way that is pleasing to you. Resurrect and bring to life every seed that has lain dormant because of my futile thinking and covetous thoughts. Let my seeds bring forth to the glory and honor of your name. No more will I give where you tell me to with a covetous heart and with wrong thoughts. Purify and cleanse me. Set me aright once more and I will praise you in the congregation of the righteous. Thank you for loving me enough to correct my erroneous ways. In Jesus Name I pray. Amen.

No comments: