Monday, May 23, 2011

Who Told You That You Were Naked?

"Who told you that you were naked?" (Genesis 3:11) This is the question God asks Adam and Eve when he finds them hiding in the bushes wearing their fig aprons.  Basically he was asking them, "Who told you that something is wrong with you?"  God knew that the enemy had come over and spoken to them for sure.

I have had the enemy talk to me before and the one thing he seems to be really good at saying is that I am not attractive.  Today God asked me the same question he asked Adam and Eve "Who told you that you are unattractive?"  When I thought about it I realized that all of it had come to me by suggestion in the soulish realm.  Why do I say that?  Because the enemy speaks to you on the soulish level and not spirit.  He makes a suggestion through a commercial and all of a sudden all the dark people feel that they need to become lighter to be beautiful.  You're watching Tyra and you realize that beauty is defined as a skinny girl and even the girls they call big are really normal sized chics.  

Those suggestions begin to run through your mind and before you know it you are reacting and acting based on the belief that you are not beautiful.  In truth, God made each one of us beautiful and then he loaded us with talents, giftings, callings, excellent temperaments and so much more.  When God looked at man he knew for a fact that he had made a show stopper, and just when creation thought he couldn't do a better job, he puts the guy to sleep and creates the most beautiful creation of all, WOMAN!

Now, that said, who told you that you were too skinny, or too fat, or not intelligent enough, or good for nothing?  Did God say that to you?  If not, why are you listening to a voice other than God's?  I have noticed something wonderful about people who do not have classic good looks (by man's standard) they usually have a redeeming aspect to them.  A man who would not otherwise catch your eye based on his looks turns out to be charming, well spoken, kind and fun to be with.  Within no time you don't even notice that he is too dark, or shorter than you are, or way too skinny.  The grace of God steps in and covers his "shortcomings" so that you fall in love with him as he is.

Shouldn't we as women then be able to look at ourselves in the mirror and see what God see's?  Granted you are a little bit on the heavy side, or maybe you are very dark and yet for some, maybe you don't think your facial features are stunning in a positive way.  How about we look in the mirror and see just how valuable we are, how talented, how gifted and successful we are at the callings God has given us?  How about we invite the Grace of God to come in and cover the parts of us that we feel may not be quite so becoming?  

Do you know why God did not think that Adam and Eve were naked? Or why they had never felt naked and ashamed before? It was because the glory of the Lord covered them.  Let that same glory cover and beautify you so that you feel and look attractive not just in the spiritual but in the physical realm too.  Often I have seen guys give me a look in a manner likely to suggest interest.  In truth, I have often reacted in such a way as to make sure they know that I couldn't be bothered. I have come to realize that that was me hiding because I did not feel beautiful or attractive enough.

Well, not anymore!!  This girl will soon be dating up a storm.  I am letting myself love and be loved.  I am letting my beauty shine through in every way.  Won't you join me? 

No comments: