Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Holy Spirit: Fill Me Once More!

As part of my back to the basics search of truth I was led to the Holy Spirit all over again.  When I was first born again and Spirit filled the Holy Spirit was so real to me.  He was my constant companion.  He spoke to me and made me laugh out loud all by myself.  He told me what to do and how to go about my life.  He was closer and more real to me than a flesh and blood person.  Somehow, I lost sight of him along the way and even though I knew he existed, he ceased to be as real as all that.  I have never regained that initial relationship.  Somehow, I know that is how things ought to be.  

This morning I was brooding over the changes I need to make in my life and was looking keenly at areas in my life that could improve.  Of the four major areas I listed, the last one was  my relationship with the Holy Spirit.  The moment I wrote that down, a light bulb went on inside me.  I realized that if I could get that part sorted first, then the rest of it would fall into place.  I immediately went on a study of the Holy Ghost to find out what God was trying to tell me.  Here is what I found out:

a) First, The Holy Spirit is our Counselor, Helper, Intercessor, Advocate, Strengthener and Standby.  We need him in order to accurately navigate the path of righteousness that God has set out for us as much as we need oxygen to live.  Without him, we cannot make it.

b) When we are baptized in the Holy Ghost not only does he come into us, but he completely diffuses into our our whole being (Acts 2:4), spirit, soul (Rom 9:1) and body (1 Cor 6:19).  So much so that we cease to be our own and we become fully his.  Additionally, we are baptized into him, as in we are placed inside him and introduced into the person of the Holy Spirit.  We become one with the Holy Spirit of God and therefore one with God.  This is a profound mystery.

c) Once we are baptized in him and he is in us, he then takes us over.  We are now full of the Holy Ghost, are led by him, take our instruction from him, directed and controlled by him.  Our assignment comes from him.  He is the one who calls us apart for the work that he has for us to accomplish here on earth (Acts 13:2-4). He also directs our speech.

I realized specifically that there seemed to be a direct link between the in-filling of the Holy Ghost and speech. First in the sign of speaking in tongues, which is a direct and immediate manifestation of the in-filling, and then in regular speech.  In the book of Acts I found several statements that read as follows:

"...Peter, because he was filled and controlled by the Holy Spirit said..." Acts 4:8

The same was said of Paul who discerned by the Holy Spirit the intents of Elymas' heart and being filled and controlled by the Holy Spirit he spoke...  

I began to meditate on that link between the Holy Spirit and the tongue.  Why is it, that the first thing the Spirit of God seems to take over is the tongue?  The study continues...

No comments: