Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Power of Covenant

I feel the need to talk about this for a second. Covenant is powerful and binding. When you put God in remembrance of his covenant to Abraham he has to step into your life and confirm the covenant. If you have been following my blog any at all, you know that I speak about covenant a lot. This is because God has given me a greater understanding of the covenant as I have sought him on it.

Deuteronomy 8:18 states that he gives you the ability to gain wealth so that he may confirm his covenant with our fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob. Money must come into your hand as a confirmation of the covenant. None of our covenant fathers was poor. In fact God went against nature to ensure that wealth was put in their hand. He preserved them in famine and when people were trying to defraud them.

Genesis 26:12-14 and 31:6-13 are perfect examples of covenant in place. Even in the famine, when all was going wrong around him Isaac sowed and reaped a hundred fold. Last year I began to pray to the Lord that I would not work for others all the days of my life and that he would cut me a flock like he did for Jacob. I did not know what I was praying about, but God knew that I would need to start my own business and had planned for me to do so this year. As I worked for my employer, I gained knowledge and skill that enabled me to start a business so that I too could cut a flock for myself.

If you will learn the power of covenant you will realize that nature cannot stand in the face of it. It does not make sense that sheep would change their DNA just by looking at stripped branches. If they changed their DNA with everything they looked at we would have a ton of green sheep from looking at grass!! But when covenant kicks in the supernatural takes over suspending the laws of nature. Jacob says that an angel appeared to him in a vision and told him in vs 12 'Look up and see that all the male goats mating with the flock are streaked, speckled and spotted…" God changed the DNA of the male goats such that the flock had no choice but to multiply in Jacobs favor!

We are in a time of recession and it does not make sense that my income would almost triple within months, when huge companies are shutting down. But I held on to the covenant and God has done it for me. I know that his desire is to prove his covenant true for each one of us. On April 15th this year the Lord asked me a question. He said 'what do you see?" and I replied just like Jeremiah had done in Jer 1:11-12 "I see the branch of an almond tree." And he said to me "You have seen well, for I am watching over my word to fulfill it."

What are you seeing at this time? The word of the Lord says that 'At destruction and famine you shall laugh' (Job 5:22). Are you laughing during this recession? If not, begin to put God in remembrance of his covenant and let the covenant work for you. Let the covenant speak on your behalf like it did for Isaac and Jacob. I pray that you will begin to know God by experience. There is no better way to draw near to the master than by hearing him for yourself and walking in obedience to his word.

No comments: