Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Haba na Haba Faith

With Dad in ICU and Mom at the end of her tether I find that my faith is challenged. How do I believe God? What do I believe for? Sometimes it seems like he would be better off with his maker and at other times he looks well enough that we think he will stick around with us for a while. Reading Heb 11 I find myself out of my league. Here are the giants of faith and I can’t even master enough to see God heal my dad. I feel like a faith loser. So I’m wondering, can I use the Haba na Haba approach to faith?

The Swahili saying Haba na Haba hujaza kibaba encourages us to do things in bite sizes in order to achieve a greater objective. What if I believed God for small things step by step? Yesterday dad came off the ventilator and I was so blessed. I celebrated one small victory. What if today I believe God that he will be able to stay awake more and even drink some tea or something else? Isn’t that faith? Then I can believe God that he will breathe without the need for oxygen the next day. And then I can believe for God to get him to a regular ward and so on and so forth. At the end of the day will my faith not have caused the mountain to move?

Most people are overwhelmed in their faith walk, just like I have been, because the level of their faith in certain areas is not quite so developed. Let us take a bite size approach to faith. Haba na Haba utajaza kibaba.

1 comment:

Cee said...

Sometimes we have to believe God's power to move the rock before us before He moves the Mountain. If you read about Job, it took years before the whole trial was over but he kept up. As human beings we love quick solutions but sometimes, God wants us to learn something through the whole experience not just go through it and come out with nothing. As a kenyan musician sung, it's through my trials and tribulations that the God in me is seen and exalted for his Majesty and Power. Get well soon for your Dad and may you get strength to get through this as a family.