Friday, July 16, 2010

Cry Out For The Blessing

During my QT this week, my heart has been crying out to God to bless me indeed. I realize that I need the blessing to make life easier for me and to pave the way. Hard work is endorsed by the Bible, but by works shall no man prevail. It must be a combination of the two. I must work hard, but more importantly the blessing must be active in my life.

Jabez exemplifies this truth. He was a hard worker. More honorable than his brothers, but the results were not measuring up to the emotional turmoil or sweat of his brow. So one day he cried out for the blessing. And God honored him.

1 Chronicles 4:8-10

"Jabez was honorable above his brothers; but his mother named him Jabez [sorrow maker], saying, Because I bore him in pain.

Jabez cried to the God of Israel, saying, Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my border, and that Your hand might be with me, and You would keep me from evil so it might not hurt me! And God granted his request"
.


Our generation today does not value a blessing mostly because we don't understand its importance. The blessing will break through for you, where you cannot. It will open doors that are tightly shut. The blessing will bring the favor of God on your life. Have you ever wondered why Esau was so bitter with Jacob over the blessing? He understood that without the blessing his life was going to be very difficult. He would have to rely on his own hard work to get himself anything. The ease that comes from the blessing was never going to be his. Check this out:

Jacob:
Makes me think of lush rain forest.

Gen 27:27-29

27 So he went to him and kissed him. When Isaac caught the smell of his clothes, he blessed him and said,
"Ah, the smell of my son
is like the smell of a field
that the LORD has blessed.

28 May God give you of heaven's dew
and of earth's richness—
an abundance of grain and new wine.

29 May nations serve you
and peoples bow down to you.
Be lord over your brothers,
and may the sons of your mother bow down to you.
May those who curse you be cursed
and those who bless you be blessed."



Esau: Makes me think of Rocky Desert.

Gen 27:39-40

39 His father Isaac answered him,
"Your dwelling will be
away from the earth's richness,
away from the dew of heaven above.

40 You will live by the sword
and you will serve your brother.
But when you grow restless,
you will throw his yoke
from off your neck."



Wouldn't you wail too? Because of the blessing Jacob lived and thrived even through his uncles treachery and came out more abundant than when he had gone into the land of Canaan. It was not the sticks that caused the goats to be striped and speckled. It was the blessing that changed their genetic make up.

Value the blessing and cry out for it like Jabez. Cry out for it like Esau "Bless me—me too, my father!" and God shall grant your request too.

No comments: