Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Death Valley

There is life to be found only on the other side of death. But walking through death valley is the hardest thing I ever did. A while back the Lord took me to Psalm 23 and focussed in on verse 3

"he refreshes my soul.
He guides me along the right paths
for his name’s sake".

Even though I read it and highlighted it and knew there was meaning to it, I didn't quite comprehend what it was all about. Until today. Hindsight really is 20:20. The following verse reads

"Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death..."

That is one place none of us wants to be at, but each one of us must get to the place where we die to self. Some deaths are easier than others but then there are those places in life where you can't explain to anyone what is happening to you. All you know is that you are dying. That you must lay yourself and your will on the altar and die without knowing what is on the other side of death.

Yet I know that there is life on the other side of death. A life that can only be found on the other side of death. Abraham received confirmation of the promise after he gave his son up as a sacrifice to the Lord. He must have died a thousand deaths walking his son to the mountain of sacrifice. But he had to. He was submitted to this God just like you and I are and there was nothing he could keep from him. Not even his only son.

God must know, that he knows, that he knows, that he is your first love. He must weigh and test the heart of man over and over again to be able to say like he did with Abraham in Genesis 22

"now I know that you fear God, since you have not withheld your son, your only son, from Me.”

Is there anything I can withhold from God? Not a thing. Therefore I must give it all up if I must and die a thousand deaths if I must until my Lord is satisfied that my heart loves him. Mine is to trust him that he is indeed leading me in paths of righteousness for his names sake. That when I come out of death valley there will be a table laid out for me in the presence of my enemies. That as I continue to trust in him he will somehow fulfill the desires of my heart according to his word and his promise.

In the meantime Lord, let your rod and your staff comfort me and let your goodness, mercy and unfailing love follow me all the days of my life!

No comments: