Monday, May 12, 2008

Treating God With Contempt

The definition for the word contempt is as follows:

a) The feeling or attitude of regarding someone or something as inferior, base, or worthless; scorn.
b) The state of being despised or dishonored; disgrace.
c) Open disrespect or willful disobedience of the authority of a court of law or legislative body.


When God showed the promised land to Israel in Numbers 13-14 and they considered their obstacles too great to overcome, God said that they had treated him with contempt.

Numbers 14:11 "The LORD said to Moses, "How long will these people treat me with contempt?..."

When you choose to believe in the ability of your circumstances to eat you up and swallow you whole, you are holding God in Contempt. You are regarding him as inferior in that circumstance and counting him worthless.

Lately God has been leading me into a business venture that I have not been too keen on because I have seen people get swallowed up in doing it. I have been battling this since last week and he just keeps showing me through his word that I can make it if I will only trust in him. I think he finally had it with me this morning and chose to let me know through these two chapters that I will be holding him in contempt by refusing to follow his leading because I am afraid.

Ps 53:5a describes me perfectly "There they were, overwhelmed with dread, where there was nothing to dread..." with God on my side there is nothing to dread. Even with the sons of the Nephilim in the house, huge giants who live in fortified cities. There are spiritual ways to bring them down. Spiritual ways to overcome them. The battle is the Lords!!

Ps 55:3-4 "When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?"

When I come across a great wall, I march around it and shout (Joshua 6) When I come against the Nephilim, I grab my slingshot, go against him in the name of the Lord Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel (1 Samuel 17)

God will make a way. I choose not to hold him in contempt. He will fight my battles as I follow after him. The best way to mitigate risk in business is to listen carefully to the voice of the Lord and to be obedient to that voice.

No comments: