Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Myomectomy


I am due for my myomectomy on October 5th. Crazy as it may seem I am so ready for it. I was diagnosed in February of this year and have just been too chicken to do it. Fibroids are benign tumors of the uterus that cause the following symptoms:
Abnormal menstrual bleeding. Up to 30% of women with fibroids have menstrual period changes, such as:
Heavier, prolonged periods that can cause anemia.
Painful periods.
Spotting before or after periods.
Bleeding between periods.
Pelvic pain and pressure, such as:
Pain in the abdomen, pelvis, or low back.
Pain during sexual intercourse.
Bloating and feelings of abdominal pressure.
Urinary problems, such as:
Frequent urination.
Leakage of urine (urinary incontinence).
Kidney blockage following ureter blockage (rare).
Other symptoms, such as:
Difficulty or pain with bowel movements.
Infertility. Sometimes, fibroids make it difficult to become pregnant.
Problems with pregnancy, such as placental abruption and premature labor.
Miscarriage.

Needless to say it has been hell for the last few months. I quit a really stressful job and took one that was not that bad in a bid to cope, but I just have to go get them out now. The list of complications is not that encouraging, but I have a really good doctor and should be good to go in 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery. I am not really planning to go back to work till January of 2008. I want to take this opportunity to rest and just chill out with God. Prayers are needed here. Will keep you updated.

No comments: