Thursday, September 13, 2007

We have to overcome!

So David walks up to this mountain of a man and threatens him in the name of the Lord his God. I have never thought of it, but that sounds plain ridiculous. However, it worked!!!! David killed Goliath!

I re-read the story this morning because I realised that I can trust God to provide for me financially, but when it comes to other things I struggle. David said, the God how helped me kill the lion and the bear will help me kill this guy too. So I am sitting here with a bigger issue than finances and instead of saying, the God who made provision for me in the past, will deal with this problem too, I am shaking in my boots. Fear is a terrible master!

The key to all of life's battles seems to be summed up in Goliath's words in 1st samuel 17:9 "If he is able to fight and kill me, we will become your subjects; but if I overcome him and kill him, you will become our subjects and serve us." If anything can overcome you, it will rule over you, however if you can overcome it, you will rule over it and it will become subject to you.

What is it that has you under it? Is it food? Money? Fear? Ambitions? All this things are not to rule you. You are to rule over them. Easier said than done, I know, but let us try the David approach:

"The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and the paw of the bear will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine... You come against me with sword and spear and javelin, but I come against you in the name of the LORD Almighty, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied. This day the LORD will hand you over to me, and I'll strike you down and cut off your head. Today I will give the carcasses of the Philistine army to the birds of the air and the beasts of the earth, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel."

Wow! How about that? Say it with confidence. "This day the Lord will hand you over to me" We have to overcome!

No comments: