Thursday, June 26, 2008

Sibling Rivalry

Many times parents fuel sibling rivalry without intending to. They may have a specially gifted child and compare the other children to this particular one. They may have one that is way more responsible and organized than the others, and once again fuel sibling rivalry. This is to be avoided at all costs. The family unit must be a team.

My dad will be coming back tonight from the US where he has been undergoing treatment for diabetes, kidney failure and cancer. It was a very tough time for us when he was here, and in the 4 years that he has been abroad it has still not been easy. We are now bracing ourselves financially and psychologically for dialysis payments, pharmaceutical bills, hospital visits etc... but we are so glad he is coming home!

I have talked to my siblings about the financial implications involved severally, and I am sad to say that none of them has made any plans on helping out with the costs. I am not worried about that though. I know that God will come through for us. I will do all I can to make sure he has what he needs, although it will be a strain.

What I am afraid of, is the comments he will make. He will probably start comparing them to me and I know the results of that. I will be targeted for snide remarks and resentment - classic sibling rivalry!

The Story of Joseph is a classic in this. Jacob loved him because he had been born to him in his old age and made him a heavily ornamented robe or a robe of many colors (Gen 37:4) The other children noticed this and resented Joseph.

Gen 37:3-4

"Now Israel loved Joseph more than any of his other sons, because he had been born to him in his old age; and he made a richly ornamented robe for him. When his brothers saw that their father loved him more than any of them, they hated him and could not speak a kind word to him".

This matter has been weighing very heavily on me. I want peace and harmony. I asked God what to do and he gave me the following passage.

Matthew 6:1-4
"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you".


I must keep my contributions quiet. I'm not sure how I will get dad to do this, but on my part I will ask him not to talk about it. Then I will pray for peace.

LOL! Doing good is not necessarily easy. But we must do good at all times and conduct ourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel. Hallelujah!

One thing I do know, that whatever happens it will all play into God's hands. Joseph was sold into slavery and God elevated him. It all worked out for good. This will too. The devil meant it for harm, but God meant it for good. My hope is in God.

No comments: