Friday, March 7, 2008

FOOD ADDICTION

I have heard of it, but I never knew that I was addicted. I guess denial had something to do with it. My best friend can eat anything and still weigh 49 kgs. She weighed 63 kgs at full term pregnancy, get that! And me? I have weighed over 100 kgs for as longs as I can remember. I was 99 kgs last February and that was me at my smallest in a while. That’s how bad it has been. But God is faithful and will always help us out when we call to him.

At the beginning of this year, the Lord called me into a life of prayer and fasting. The prayer was okay but the fasting was punishment. I couldn’t even imagine it. But he gave me the grace and I began to fast the best I could, a meal a week. It sounds like little, but for a person that would eat every couple of hours it was a lot. Soon, I got better and better and have continued to progress well in that area. Now I’m fasting two days a week from sun up to sundown. I’m still trying to get to all water only for 24 hours and I believe I will.

But this is what fasting has done in the area of weight loss, it has broken the bondage of food addiction. I am no longer tied to food. Now I can actually wait until I am truly hungry before I eat. I used to almost panic without food in my bag or my drawer at work. I needed that comfort, and I used it for everything. When I was stressed I ate, when I was angry or anxious I ate. When I was sad or lonely, I ate. That was a lot of eating.

Now I am free. The Lord is who I run to when I am anxious, stressed, angry, lonely or sad. I have no need to eat all the time. And I can see it in the way the weight is coming off me. I am so blessed.

If you are struggling with a food addiction, call to God and start to fast. Even just one meal a week. He says he will teach you how to profit. That word is multi faceted. He will show you how to get the most out of your body so that you live a long and healthy life on the earth.

No comments: